Every year, many people undergo cosmetic surgery to restore their confidence, and cosmetic procedures continue to maintain their popularity among many different types of individuals. According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery statistics, more than 15 billion dollars was spent on cosmetic procedures in 2016. Some older patients may be unsure if a plastic surgery procedure is right for them; they might feel that they are too old for cosmetic surgery. However, there is not an age limit for those who are interested in plastic surgery. Even though some risks can be higher for patients in their 50s, 60s, or 70s, cosmetic procedures can be a possibility for just about any person of any age.
Are You Ready For A Cosmetic Procedure?
Before an older patient steps in the operating room, it is important that they meet certain criteria to ensure a safe surgery experience, such as:
- Realistic expectations: Patients should be emotionally ready for surgery, and this includes having realistic expectations. Plastic surgery is meant to enhance a person’s natural features to improve their entire look. Patients will not achieve a dramatic transformation but rather an improved, enhanced version of themselves.
- Physically healthy: Plastic surgery is surgery. Patients should take their surgical experience seriously. They should be in good health and should not have any serious medical conditions. Unhealthy habits, such as consuming excessive alcohol and smoking, should be avoided for at least two weeks before and two weeks after surgery.
- Open, honest communication: Patients who are completely open and honest with their doctor about their goals, concerns, and medical history are more likely to achieve their desired results. During their consultation with their surgeon, they should gather as much information as they can and fully express what they want to achieve.
Senior Plastic Surgery Procedures
Once a patient has decided that they are ready for cosmetic surgery, they can schedule their procedure with their surgeon. Older patients typically undergo procedures that are designed to reverse the signs of aging. The following are some of the procedures frequently performed on senior patients:
- Facelift surgery: This procedure is intended to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, deep vertical lines, and fine horizontal lines. A facelift can also correct unsightly jowls and enhance the jawline.
- Eyelid surgery: This procedure is performed to address aging in the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both by removing excess fatty tissue and tightening the eyelid skin. Eyelid surgery can reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines while creating a more alert and youthful appearance.
- Breast augmentation: The loss of breast volume caused by aging can be restored by inserting saline or silicone breast implants. Breast augmentation offers a variety of breast implant types, incision options, and placement locations to create a personalized surgery.
- Breast lift surgery: Sagging breasts can be moved into a more youthful position by lifting the breasts to a more appropriate pectoral height. Breast lift surgery can help to reverse the loss of skin elasticity and is commonly combined with a breast augmentation for optimal results.
If you are an older patient interested in a cosmetic procedure, Dr. Perez-Gurri or Dr. Garcia can help you decide if plastic surgery is right for you. Schedule your consultation today! Contact us by calling (305) 596-2228 or by filling out our online contact form.