2013 saw a major upsurge in male liposuction. We expect the trend to continue into 2014 and beyond.
Not only are more men seeking liposuction, they’re using it differently than they used to. Back in the day, most men came to me with modest goals. They’d ask me to:
- Remove their love handles
- Tame their bulging belly.
- Get rid of a double chin.
- Shrink a fatty bulge at the back of the neck.
These days I get more and more requests for the full body sculpt. Here I remove small fatty deposits surrounding the chest and stomach muscles to give an already well-toned man a more defined “six pack.”
Learning From Their Significant Others
Men seem to be taking their cue from women, who long ago discovered body contouring as a way to make fine adjustments to their natural endowments. I enjoy working with men as much as I enjoy working with women. And I find the criteria I use for selecting appropriate candidates the same.
To qualify for liposuction, a man must:
- Have firm, elastic skin and be in good health
- Have tried diet, exercise and weight loss programs
- Have fat deposits higher than the average for his body type
- Have realistic expectations and be only slightly overweight.
Is fat removal permanent?
Yes! It seems that after puberty, we do not create new fat cells. When you gain weight, you expand the fat cells that you have. Liposuction permanently removes fat cells to improve your body’s contour. Should you gain weight after liposuction, it goes to the fat cells that remain in your body. The localized fatty deposits that existed prior to liposuction.
How many procedures will I need?
Most likely, one procedure will be sufficient. In a small amount of cases, some patients require a fine-tuning procedure at a future date.
How will my skin look after surgery?
About the same as it does now. The changes following liposuction are similar to what you would expect if you could lose an equal amount of localized fat through diet and exercise alone.
I’ve heard some people complain about sagging skin after liposuction.
That’s a problem which has been associated with outdated technology. Today we use smaller cannulas that allow smoother and more consistent results. The key to great results lies in patient selection as much as the skill of the surgeon with advance techniques.
What will my recovery be like?
This varies with the individual, the amount of fat removed, and the area on which
the procedure was performed.
- Generally, a man can return to work in within days. Men with more strenuous jobs may want to take up to 1weeks off.
- You will wear a snug elastic body stocking over the treated area for four to six weeks after the operation. This helps to reduce the swelling and mold the tissue that has been distributed back into shape.
- Swelling and bruising can take a month, 6 months and occasionally longer to disappear.
An Even Playing Field
If you’ve got a man in your life who’s unhappy with his physique and has tried all the obvious options, let him know he can change his luck.
Genetics may have dealt him a bad hand, but medical science can even the playing field. For further information or for a complimentary consultation please call Dr Jose Perez-Gurri at Imagos Institute of Plastic Surgery at [phone].